Cannabasics: Get To Know Your Sativas, Indicas and Hybrids
Cannabis is a natural mind and body-altering plant. To get the most enjoyment out of its use, it’s important to understand the different effects of each strain before you consume. The more you know, the better your experience.
Let’s start with the basics.
Sativa and indica are two naturally occurring species of cannabis, whereas hybirds are a mix of both – creating new and exciting varieties of cannabis. The differences in each strain stem from the origin of each species. Indica’s typically have a short flowering time (6-8 weeks) and produce dense, plump buds. These species thrive in mountainous regions and harsher climates/conditions, so they produce thick coats of resin to protect their short, bushy stature. Indica strains typically produce more CBD in comparison to sativas.
Sativas have longer flowering times (10-16 weeks) and produce airy, tall buds. These species thrive in more temperate areas and are typically higher in THC levels in comparison to indicas.
The mass commercialization of cannabis has resulted in a broad belief that the effects you feel when consuming cannabis are directly related to whether that strain is either indica or sativa:
- Indica strains promote body relaxation. These full body effects may make you feel sleepy, calm, and mellow; it is recommended to use these strains at night.
- Sativa strains tend to be more energizing and uplifting (typically, but not always) and can make you feel creative, social, cheerful, alert and energetic. These strains are perfect for daytime consumption.
But there is little research to support these claims. In fact, cannabis is a complex plant and each strain has its own characteristics and distinctive psychoactive properties based on the ratio of the plant’s cannabinoids, THC, CBD and Terpenes present (don’t worry; we will get more into this in other blogs).
Pure indica and sativa strains do exist, but many are hybrids that fall in between and produce a variety of effects that depend on the parents of the strain. The hybrid will be indica or sativa dominant. This means they will express effects of the primary variety combined with a few effects of the secondary variety.
- When you consume a sativa-dominant strain, you may feel social, creative and happy while feeling calm and mellow.
- If you consume an indica-dominant hybrid, you may feel like your body is very relaxed while still feeling alert and energetic.
Our RARE experience guides help you find a strain that’s perfect for you. We believe that knowing the differences between the strains of cannabis can help gauge your expectations when consuming cannabis leading to a better, more informed experience.
Let’s get to know one another, reach out to [email protected] . We love to hear your ideas and how you #livelifeRARE.
Subscribe to our newsletter now to get updates on our launch, industry news, invites to special events and more. Sign up now and be entered to win RARE swag!!
Let’s build something beautiful together.
– Your Local RARE Cannabis Co.
And remember friends, do not smoke and drive. Ever.